11, Apr 2021
Jawaharlal Nehru was an Indian independence activist and, subsequently, the first Prime Minister of India, as well as a central figure in Indian politics both before and after independence.
|Full Name||Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru|
|Nickname(s)||Chacha Nehru, Panditji|
|Profession(s)||Barrister, Writer, Politician|
|Major Works||• Nehru supported the Indian civil rights movement in South Africa led by Mahatma Gandhi. He also took a firm stand against other discriminations including the campaign against the indentured labour faced by Indians in the British colonies.
• Nehru’s efforts of internationalizing the Indian independence struggle got India an invitation to attend the Congress of oppressed nationalities in Brussels in Belgium where he represented the country.
• In the Lahore Session of 1929, Nehru hoisted the tricolour flag of India in Lahore and called for the complete independence from the British Raj.
• On 15 August 1947, Jawaharlal Nehru became the first Prime Minister of India.
• He made many efforts to uplift the position of India after Independence from Britishers and launched his five years planning in 1951.
|Famous Quotes||• There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.
• Citizenship consists in the service of the country.
• Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 173 cm
in meters- 1.73 m
in feet inches- 5’ 8”
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
|Political Journey||1912: Joined the Indian National Congress
1947: Became the first Prime Minister of India and held the post until his death in 1964
|Memorials (Major ones)||• Jawaharlal Nehru Award for understanding presented by the Government of India
• Jawahar Sagar Dam on Chambal river
• Jawahar Setu across the Son river
• Jawaharlal Navoday Vidhyalay Stadium, Himachal Pradesh
• Jawaharlal Nehru Biological Park, Jharkhand
• Jawaharlal Nehru Cancer Hospital & Research Centre, Bhopal
• JNU Stadium, New Delhi
• Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
|Date of Birth||14 November 1889|
|Birthplace||Allahabad, United Provinces, British India (Now, Uttar Pradesh, India)|
|Date of Death||27 May 1964|
|Place of Death||New Delhi, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||74 Years|
|Death Cause||Heart Attack|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Scorpio|
|Hometown||Allahabad, United Provinces, British India (Now, Uttar Pradesh, India)|
|College/University||• Trinity College, Cambridge
• Inns of Court
|Educational Qualification(s)||• Honours in Natural Science from Trinity College, Cambridge Inns of Court
• Law from Inner temple Inn
|Hobbies||Reading, Writing, Swimming, Sword Fighting|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||Bharat Ratna (1955)
|Controversies||• At the time of partition, Nehru was not the first choice for the post of Prime Minister of Independent India rather he was voted down for it. Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel was being considered as the best candidate. It is believed that Nehru jeopardized Patel's candidature for the PM as he wanted to run for office. The members were also asked by Mahatma Gandhi to change their decision so that Nehru could become the first PM of India.
• Nehru was awarded Bharat Ratna (highest civilian award given by Government of India) which constitutionally is recommended by the Prime Minister to the President, Nehru recommended his name for the Bharat Ratna which is looked down by many critics in our society. 
• Various sections of the society widely criticised Nehru's decision of acquiring Kashmir through the Instrument of Accession which is considered as the birth of the issue of Kashmir in the present. 
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Kamala Nehru (1916-1936)
Daughter- Indira Gandhi (Politician)
|Parents||Father- Motilal Nehru (Freedom Fighter, Lawyer, Politician)
Mother- Swaruprani Thussu
Sister(s)- Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit (First Female President of the United Nations General Assembly)
Krishna Hutheesing (Writer)
|Favourite Food||Tandoori Chicken|
|Favourite Activist||Mahatma Gandhi|
|Favourite Cigarette Brand||555 Cigarette|
“first introduction to the religious and cultural heritage of [India]…[they] provided Nehru the initial impulse for [his] long intellectual quest which culminated…in The Discovery of India.”
“[The] Japanese victories [had] stirred up my enthusiasm … Nationalistic ideas filled my mind … I mused of Indian freedom and Asiatic freedom from the thraldom of Europe.”
Jawaharlal Nehru as a Cadet in Harrow
Jawaharlal Nehru As A Lawyer
“Decidedly the atmosphere was not intellectually stimulating, and a sense of the utter insipidity of life grew upon me,” He wrote. His inclination towards politics eventually replaced his legal practice.
Jawaharlal Nehru With Mahatma Gandhi
“[Besant] had a very powerful influence on me in my childhood… even later when I entered political life her influence continued,” he remarked. Later, he went on to become the secretary of Besant’s Home Rule League.
Jawaharlal Nehru With His Wife Kamala Nehru
Jawaharlal Nehru With His Wife and Daughter
Jawaharlal Nehru Detained during Civil Disobedience Movement
Jawaharlal Nehru Autobiography
“Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure, but very substantially. At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom.”
Jawaharlal Nehru’s Book The Discovery of India
Jawaharlal Nehru With His Alleged Girlfriend Edwina Mountbatten
Jawaharlal Nehru With His Daughter, Indira Gandhi
Jawaharlal Nehru Performing Sword Fight