11, Apr 2021
Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam was an Indian aerospace scientist and politician who served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. He was born and raised in Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu and studied physics and aerospace engineering.
|Full Name||Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam|
|Nickname||Missile Man, People's President|
|Profession||Professor, Author, Aerospace Scientist
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in feet inches- 5’ 4”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms- 60 kg
in pounds- 132 lbs
|Date of Birth||15 October 1931|
|Birth Place||Rameswaram, Ramnad District, Madras Presidency, British India
(now in Ramanathapuram District, Tamil Nadu, India
|Date of Death||27 July 2015|
|Place of Death||Shillong, Meghalaya, India|
|Age (at the time of death)||83 Years|
|Death Cause||Cardiac arrest (Stroke)|
|Resting Place||Pei Karumbu, Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Libra|
|Hometown||Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu, India|
|School||Schwartz Higher Secondary School, Ramanathapuram, Tamil Nadu, India|
|College/University||St. Joseph's College, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India
Madras Institute of Technology, Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science in Physics from Saint Joseph's College, the University of Madras in 1954
A Degree in Aerospace Engineering from the Madras Institute of Technology in 1960
|Family||Father- Jainulabiddin Marakayar (A boat owner and Imam of a local Mosque)
Mother- Ashiamma Jainulabiddin (Housewife
Brothers- Kasim Mohammed, Mustafa Kamal, Mohammed Muthu Meera Lebbai Maraikayar
Sister- Asim Zohra (eldest)
|Hobbies||Playing Veena, Delivering Motivational Lectures, Walking, Listening to Indian Classical Music|
|Awards/Honours||1981: Padma Bhushan by the Government of India
1990: Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India
1997: Bharat Ratna by the Government of India
1998: Veer Savarkar Award by the Government of India
2007: King Charles II Medal by Royal Society, UK
2009: Hoover Medal by ASME Foundation, USA
2013: Von Braun Award by National Space Society
2014: Doctor of Science by Edinburgh University, UK
|Famous Books||1998: India 2020
1999: Wings Of Fire
2002: Ignited Minds
2006: Indomitable Spirit
2012: Turning Points
|Famous Quotes||• All Birds find shelter during a rain. But Eagle avoids rain by flying above the Clouds.
• Man needs difficulties in life because they are necessary to enjoy the success.
• If you want to shine like a sun. First, burn like a sun.
• All of us do not have equal talent. But, all of us have an equal opportunity to develop our talents.
• Be more dedicated to making solid achievements than in running after swift but synthetic happiness.
• Without your involvement, you can't succeed. With your involvement, you can't fail.
• Let us sacrifice our today so that our children can have a better tomorrow.
• Science is a beautiful gift to humanity; we should not distort it.
• You have to dream before your dreams can come true.
• Great dreams of great dreamers are always transcended.
• Poetry comes from the highest happiness or the deepest sorrow.
• Life is a difficult game. You can win it only by retaining your birthright to be a person.
|Institutes/Places Named After Him||30 July 2015: Uttar Pradesh State Government renamed Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU) to "A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University."
31 July 2015: A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Memorial Travancore Institute of Digestive Diseases, Kerala.
4 August 2015: A new academic complex at Mahatma Gandhi University in Kerala was named after him.
16 August 2015: The Puducherry Government announced that the newly inaugurated science centre-cum-planetarium would be named after former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
August 2015: Kerala Technological University was renamed to A P J Abdul Kalam Technological University.
September 2015: Wheeler Island, a national missile test site in Odisha, was renamed Abdul Kalam Island.
May 2017: NASA named a new organism discovered by them after the much-loved A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. The new organism — a form of bacteria — has been found only on the International Space Station (ISS) and has not been found on earth! Researchers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), the foremost lab of NASA for work on interplanetary travel, discovered the new bacteria on the filters of the International Space Station (ISS) and named it Solibacillus kalamii.
|Controversies||• During his tenure as the President of India, Kalam was criticised for his inaction in deciding the fate of 20 out of the 21 mercy petitions submitted to him. He acted on only one mercy plea in his 5-year tenure, rejecting the plea of rapist Dhananjoy Chatterjee, who was later hanged. Perhaps the most notable plea was from Afzal Guru who was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court of India in 2004. The pending action on his mercy plea resulted in him remaining on death row.
• In 2005, Kalam also took the controversial decision to impose President's Rule in Bihar.
• In 2011, civil groups criticised him over his stand on the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant as he supported the establishment of the nuclear power plant and was accused of not speaking with the local people.
|Favourite Subject(s)||Mathematics, Physics|
|Girls, Affairs and More|
|Net Worth||In material terms, the "People's President" owned 2,500 books, a Veena, a wrist watch, a CD Player, a laptop, 6 shirts, 4 trousers, 3 suits and a pair of shoes, his ancestral house and a small site near the house in Rameswaram.|